Yellow sclera, stressed. Help?

ive had yellow sclera for the past couple years ....i've been to the doctor's on many occasions ,but he keeps telling me im okay and that i should'nt worry about. im really concious about it when i talk to people and always trying to avoid eye contact. it's really getting to me now and i think about them everyday.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later

Gilbert's disease is a benign genetic disease where the mechanism of disposing bilirubin is faulty. This is secondary to low levels of an enzyme which is required to make bilirubin water soluble so that it can be excreted in bile. It does not cause any harm to the body or liver and is inconsequential from a medical point of view.

The jaundice is typically less than 5mg% and the indirect fraction is more with normal SGOT & SGPT.
The bilirubin level increases when you are stressed, sleep deprived, dehydrated or have fever. Hence you need to avoid it.

There are a couple of drugs which can be used to reduce the bilirubin by inducing the enzymes, but are associated with side effects. Eye becomes yellow only when bilirubin is above 2md/dl.

Hence do not be obsessed about your eye colour and try to avoid the precipitant factors listed above.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.