Wristdrop in both hands after exercise under sun. MRI normal. Radial nerve trapped?

My son has wristdrop in both hands after 3 hours drilling on the parade ground. He is a very fit healthy 19 year old does karate and Capoiera. The hospital has done MRI on brain and neck which show no problems. He is in hospital for other tests which will take place on monday. Can someone please tell me what it could be. Could it be the radial nerve being trapped by standing arms behind back for 2 hours
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query

Regarding the presence of bilateral wrist drops, most of the time it is due to involvement of the radial nerves or the brachial plexus. MRI is usually not required for the diagnosis.

'ENMG studies' confirms the site of damage in the radial nerves.

Most common cause is compression of the radial nerve in the arms. Radial nerve can get trapped due to compression which might lead to wrist drop.

He may require a course of steroids and physiotherapy and work up for other causes of radial nerve palsy. Prognosis in such cases is very good and I expect full recovery in both the radial nerves. Do not worry.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Shiva Kumar R.
Follow-up: Wristdrop in both hands after exercise under sun. MRI normal. Radial nerve trapped? 4 hours later
We went to visit him today in hospital where he is for testing. They will start tests on monday. As he has no pain is the two days wait for further treatment ok?

Thank you very much for your help. As he has no other symptoms and the mri was clear i am hoping it will be ok once the diagnosis is clear

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 32 minutes later

Thanks for getting back to me

As it is not an emergency you can subject him to tests on monday. Once the diagnosis is confirmed it is easy to decide on the treatment. As he has no other symptoms one can expect complete recovery in him.

Wish you good health.