Having quadri-paresis with radial nerve palsy in upper limb. Is there any possibility of improvement?

My mother is having quadri-paresis with radial nerve palsy in right upper limb. She is on ryles' tube feed. Does not respond to verbal commands and does not speak. However, she responds to stimulus of touch and opens her eyes. However, she does not recognize the persons or the objects around her (dis-oriented). She has developed contractures in both elbow joints and has wrist drop in right hand.

Her general condition is being monitored every day. Her BP is stable around 110/70 and saturation between 93 to 97. However, the pulse rate fluctuates and we have seen it going upto 150/min which comes down by administration of propranol (10-20 mg). Her general condition is not improving.

Please let us know if there is any possibility of improvement in her condition and what should be the possible next steps if any.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

I have gone through the details provided by you and your mother is suffering a lot. I am not able to pinpoint any specific cause other than a cerebral degeneration.

What she requires is a good nursing and ambulation. If possible, put her in a wheel chair and take her outside for fresh air and sunlight.

You must have taken help of physiotherapist and nutrition support.

I will suggest for a check up for blood ammonia level, electrolytes (sodium and potassium), Vitamin B12 levels, etc. During this you can have routine blood counts, urea, creatinine, sugar and liver function tests if not done in last three months. You can update me with MRI and EEG findings done earlier.

Good wishes for you and your mother