Would alcohol consumption while on prozac can have any adverse effect on health?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Hello doctor. I have been taken prozac since 3 months now however since the last month i have been drinking alcohol heavily. I have not noticed any sideeffects and i am well recovered from my depression. I just wanted to ask you is it wrong that i drank alcohol heavily.i made a mistake but will this affect my depression later on. I am quitting prozac as i am no longer depressed. However i am scared that by drinking on prozac did i hamper my progress or will there be any future signs of depression
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Drinking when on Prozac is no different from drinking when not on any antidepressants. It will have the same adverse effects on your body as can be expected from heavy drinking. You will be able to notice the adverse effects only when you get blood tested for liver function tests or continue drinking for a few more months. Regarding the effects on depression, heavy alcohol intake can induce a depressive episode in people and this will be a risk for you if you continue drinking. Depression is an episodic illness with a tendency to recur. Alcohol increases your risk of suffering from another episode and therefore, you should try to cut down on your alcohol intake. You have mentioned that you are quitting Prozac after being on it for three months as you have no depressive symptoms now. I think you are not aware that antidepressants should be continued for at least 9 more months after getting well to reduce the risk of recurrence of another episode of depression. This is as per all standard guidelines and based on strong scientific evidence. Hope this clears up things for you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry