Worried for pregnancy from precum. Should I take any contraceptive pill?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi doctor. I am in trouble and I am freaking out big time. Me and my girlfriend were making out. We both were naked and my penis was touching her genitals (not the vagina). She was dry and i could not figured out if I precum. As i was about to ejaculate i used my hand and came out on her pubic hair which were a bit far from her vaginal opening. Though we did clean the visible sperms with a cloth on the spot and after an hour even she washed and cleaned everything with water. But we both are paranoid 1) if I precame in her genitals and if so, then is it risky? 2) if those sperms somehow managed to swim inside and deposited on her cervix. She is 20 only and her period started on 21st january and ended on 25th january. This thing happened 40hours ago, please suggest if she takes an ipill or any contraceptive pill.

Waiting for your help asap. Thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
hello,

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help.

I am giving answer according to your query as follows:

1) In above procedure of sexual activity, chance of pregnancy is almost nil. So you need not to be worried.

According to last period date (21st January), her expected due date will be around 19th -21st February. She will ovulate around 5th-7th February. You involved in sexual activity on 30th January (you said that) which is very much safe period or non fertile day.

In addition, precum which is secreted prior to ejaculation, contains sperm in small amount and may cause pregnancy in low percentage or extreme rare cases. But it also depends on ovulation time/ fertile days. In your case, it is very much unlikely.

Therefore, I suggest her to wait for next coming period. If she does not get her period within one week of due date, then a home pregnancy test with urine is required to exclude pregnancy.

2) For highest effectiveness and safety, I-pill or any emergency contraceptive pill should be taken within 24 hrs or soon after unprotected sex. Though it is quite effective if the pill is taken within 24-72 hrs. A withdrawal bleeding occurs within 7 days after taking the pill and next cycles may be earlier or delayed due to hormonal imbalance.

In this type of sexual activity, there is no need to take I-pill or contraceptive pill as you ejaculate far from vaginal opening and on safe period.

She should avoid stress/ mental upset, take healthy diet with iron supplements, maintain genital hygiene properly and sleep adequately. Also you do practice safe sex in future by using safe period/OCP/Condom etc to avoid unwanted pregnancy & unnecessary vaginal bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish good health for both of you.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Worried for pregnancy from precum. Should I take any contraceptive pill? 3 hours later
Dear Dr.,

I am glad that you answered all my questions very well. But I have few follow up questions to ask, is there any early ways to detect pregnancy before her periods?
2) God forbid, what if against the odds she misses her period, what will be the least harmful measure taken, to stop the pregnancy.
3) are there any chances of STD's? If yes, what prevention measures can we take?
4) are there any early symptoms to see pregnancy possibilities?

Msny thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 37 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I am giving answer to your question.

1) Pregnancy can be detected 2-3 days before period due date but there is high chance of false negative result due to low level of hCG hormone. Home pregnancy test (HPT) with urine give 95% positive result around missed period time and 95-99% positive result is achieved after 7 days of due date.

2) In case of positive pregnancy test (though rare chance) ,she may undergo medical abortion as early as possible (max 7-9 weeks). Abortifacient drugs should be taken under supervision of gynecologist to avoid unexpected vaginal bleeding.

3) There is no chance of STD without unprotected sexual intercourse. Condom is highly effective in prevention of transmission for HIV or STD but it has failure rate around 14% for pregnancy.

4) Early symptoms of pregnancy are nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness, abdominal cramp or backache, fatigue, frequent urination etc.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care of her and follow other advices as described earlier.

Dr Soumen.

Thank you doctor.

One very last question, I can not afford to see an abortion and I am very scared at this moment, because even 72hours are coming closer. I want a 100% surity that nothing will happen in my case. My girlfriend is continuosly denying to take the pill and I am kindof pushing her a lot. This is causing a lot of pressure on us. Can you please help me for the last time that in my case nothing will happen and she should not take ipill.

Thank you once again

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
hello,

Thanks for follow up query.

I already told you that chance of pregnancy is almost nil with that type of sexual activity. So you should not be worried about that.

Pregnancy is only possible if unprotected sexual intercourse is done with ejaculation around ovulation time in regular period. In your case, it is mostly unlike. In addition, no contraceptive pill is 100% effective & safe in preventing unwanted pregnancy.

Therefore, it is better not to force her to take I-pill and wait for next coming period. You should take care of her and do the right thing according to her needs.
Also you try to understand her about the fact and give assurance not to become pregnant. Follow all other advices, described in my earlier reply.

I think that these may help you to clear doubt & dilemma from both of your mind.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Worried for pregnancy from precum. Should I take any contraceptive pill? 46 hours later
Dear Doc,

I really appreciate all you wise and quick replies. I deeply believe your advice will genuinely help us in the future. I will be closing this discussion and rating your suggestions irrespective of thier outcomes.

Many Thanks once again

Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later

You are most welcome in XXXXXXX site.

Be well & stay healthy and take care of her.

Dr Soumen