Woke up with wrist pain and elbow. Pain radiating to shoulder joints. Reason?

twice in the past two months I woke up with wrist pain on right arm. then moved to inside elbow for aday. the to outside elbow for a day. the the pain moved to my shoulder joint for three days. dealt with pain all the time alive was of no help.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

This is an interesting problem. You are describing mainly musculoskeletal concerns. It is also very important to consider the current medications that you're taking. Statin medications are well known for causing musculoskeletal symptoms. I am not sure that this is the case for you but we must consider that.

You have described pain involving your elbow, arm, wrist, and shoulder. This could represent osteoarthritis which is a common entity in your age category. I would expect this to be more of a persistent problem however in your case this seems somewhat migratory in nature.

If the symptoms persist I would suggest that you contact your primary care physician for a focused consultation, physical examination and laboratory evaluation to consider underlying causes including metabolic abnormalities or electrolyte abnormalities. Also your doctor might consider requesting imaging including x-rays to evaluate the bones which are involved in his symptoms which are described.

Thank you again for sending the question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns regarding this issue.

Dr. Robert