With reference to the stool report need opinion regarding treatment for my child

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is 3 months old. As per stool report and microsocopic examination his RBC count is 10-12 and Pus cells count is 48-40. Doctor suggested 5 injections for 5 days (1 per day). His feeding and other things are normal. His weight is 6 kg. Pls. let me know if this is the treatment or should i go with any other option.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ok if indicated by the examination and symptoms Detailed Answer: Hi, Your doctor has suspected some infection in view of pus cells and rbcs in stools. Did your child has loose stools? This stool result should be interpreted with the associated symptoms. If the child had diarrhoea with fever it is OK to give antibiotics as injections. But normally we do not give antibiotics for loosemotiond even if there are few pus cells in the stools. Because mostly they are viral infections and do not respond to antibiotics. But if your pediatrician decided on this based on his examination of the baby ,symptoms,etc,then it is OK . God bless Dr Uma
Follow-up: With reference to the stool report need opinion regarding treatment for my child 28 minutes later
He do not have diarrhoea with fever and feeding is good and no weight lose. Is it necessary to take 5 injections? Hope no side effect with it? Can you pls. suggest alternate opetion other than injections. My first son(4 months age) expired due to sepsys dieses. thats why we are very much worried. Hope its not a serious symptom.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later
Brief Answer: no need as per your description. Detailed Answer: Hi, If your child does not have fever or diarrhoea, then there is no need for this injection( is it antibiotic? Probably your history about the previous baby may be the reason for tis decision. You can get a second opinion from another pediatrician or discuss with your doctor. No need for any other medicines. Repeat the. Stool test after 48 hours. Watch the baby. Good luck Dr uma
Follow-up: With reference to the stool report need opinion regarding treatment for my child 16 hours later
Yes. Injections are antibiotic. He has given two doses and third will be today. Hope no side effect/harm with these injections. I will consult with other doctor. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Brief Answer: may be not! but may e unnecessary also! Detailed Answer: Hi, Wish your child all the best and good health! God bless. Try to avoid crowded places like marriage parties etc in the first two years at least to prevent infections in your child!