Will the consumption of herbs in diet cause melanosis COLI?

Question
I consume a diet high in uncooked salad +herbs + vegetables. will the consumption of herbs in your diet..not a herb compound in a pill cause melanosis coli?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Melanosis COLI is a disorder of brown pigmentation of wall of colon.
It is a benign condition and the brown pigment is LIPOFUSCIN and not MELANIN.
Commonest cause of melanosis COLI is prolonged use of laxatives which contain Anthraquinone in it like
Senna
Cascara sagrada
Buckthorn
Roots of rhubarb
Aloe etc.
Your diet has nothing to do with Development of melanosis COLI .
It may be due to some other cause.
Thanks and best of luck

Follow-up: Will the consumption of herbs in diet cause melanosis COLI? 10 hours later
WHAT IS THE CORRECT TEST TO ASK FOR TO FIND OUT WHAT IS YOUR" FREE " TOTOSTERON AND WHAT IS THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF FREE TOTOSTERON .
I HAVE NO DYSFUNTION ED ETC. BUT AT 70 YEARS WONDER IF AN INCREASE IN FREE T. MAY BE OF BENIFIT TO MY ENERGY LEVEL MOOD??.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 38 minutes later
Hello
Since most of the testosterone in blood is bound to proteins,it is called as total testosterone.
Free testosterone is very minute in quantity and is 1to 4 % of the total testosterone.
Normal range of total testosterone varies from lab to lab but usually it is between 260 ng/dl to 860 ng/dl.
The levels of testosterone gradually go down with age and it has been noted that on an average there is a fall of 50 ng/ dl every decade with taking 700 levels as bench XXXXXXX at the age of 25 years.
According to American Society of andrology,testosterone replacement therapy In aging men is indicated when both clinical symptoms and signs suggestive of androgen deficiency and Decreased testosterone levels are present.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query
Thanks and best of luck