Will taking Eptoin during pregnancy affect baby's growth? History of seizures while sleeping and in cold climates.

hi Doctor,
MY wIFE HAD HER FIRST SEIZURE AT THE AGE OF 21.LATER SHE HAD TWO TIMES.And seizures happens only in sleep in cold climatic conditions and she is taking eptoin she is pregnent and she got fits in 5 month of pregnency so she is advised to take 2 tablets a day.will this affect the baby growth?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 46 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the use of eptoin in pregnancy, I personally feel it is not a good option as it can rarely cause birth defects. But if someone is on very low dose, then the chances are less or equivalent to the general population. The baby is fully formed by 12 weeks in the womb of the mother. So increasing the dose of eptoin in 5th month of pregnancy does not cause additional harm to the fetus.

Regarding the occurrence of fits in pregnancy, it indicates an inadequate dose of eptoin due to certain physiological changes in pregnancy. I do agree with your GP that increasing the dose of the medicine is required to control the seizures. One can check if the medicine dose if adequate by doing blood levels of eptoin.

So I personally feel you need to consult your Neurologist who is experienced in treated pregnant women with epilepsy and can optimize the dose of the medicine to prevent further seizures in the pregnancy. Increasing the dose of medicine is unlikely to cause any effects on the baby after 5 months of pregnancy. Additionally, two doses of Vitamin K around 6th and 8th month of pregnancy would also be required.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R