Will candid b cream help in curing rashes in armpit?

Dec 2013

Hi Doctor, I am having a severe rash in one of my armpits for quite some time now more than a month actually. I need you to kindly advise some medication. It is very itchy and has bad odour. I fear that it is a fungal infection. Would candid b cream prove useful, I havent applied anything yet. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fungal infection; do not touch or scratch Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. After thoroughly analyzing the picture I can make out that you have got fungal infection which is prone to get secondarily infected. It appears that you have scratched it too vigorously so it is very important for you to not to even touch the area and no scratching. Fungal infections are common type of infections which can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are more prone for sweating or moist areas (as in your case). More specifically these are related to the hygiene and environmental factors. Due to tight and synthetic clothing, or closed area at arm pit region or due to friction by opposition of skin it leads to growth of fungus at any part of the body. For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below: - Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. - change you undergarments daily for two times. Take daily bath. - Do warm compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition for 5 minutes at least for 3-4 times in initial 3 days and then 2 times for next 4 days. -If I were your treating dermatologist then would have prescribed you to apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Sertaconazole" with mild steroid such as beclomethasone dipropionate (Onabet B cream) in a very thin layer for two times daily for 7 days and then for one time in next 7 days. -I would have also prescribed you an oral anti histamine like loratadine (Dazit) two times a day for moderate to severe itching is present. -Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)