What causes itchy rashes on the hands and legs?

Excellent

Critical Care Specialist
Question
My hands and legs are itching severely without any rashes . Currently I am recuperating from Dengue . My platelet count is increasing steadily. But I am in great trouble due to itchiness . Unable to sleep due to this. Tried cetrizine tablet but no effect. Kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2017 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to recheck the platelet counts also...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concerns,

Although it's good that the platelet counts are increasing steadily, sudden severe itching can be noticed without any rashes, and during this phase, it's advisable to recheck the platelet counts twice daily for at least the next 48hours (till a steady range is noticed)...

Please avoid scratching the skin directly (keep the nails trimmed also), use simple soothing moisturizing lotion (Aloe-vera) or Lactocalamine lotion and apply thoroughly to the body twice daily (or as and when required)...

Cetrizine may not work immediately, you can additionally take Tab RANITIDINE 150mg twice daily before food for the next 3 days...

Along with this, try to maintain a very good hydration (drink at least 2.5ltr water per day)...have simple homemade foods, fresh fruits and avoid any spicy food for the time being...

Just follow all these, and observe how you stay in the due course...

Take Care
Kind Regards