Will a old TB problem appear in X-ray even after long time gap ?

58 years ago in the military I tested positive for TB, I got sent to the Hospital, there they made x-Ray and later sent me home sad it is nothing. I had some jont problems 25 years ago they tested for TB agin was negativ. now for a Visa application I got tested and it was red about 20 mm dia and 1.5 mm skin swollen ( thiker). They made X XXXXXXX I bet it is negativ, now they want to feed meIsoniazid 300 mgr I do not like. what do you think?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 26 minutes later

This is a very common situation encountered when individuals are tested with the Mantoux test for Tuberculosis.

The Mantoux tuberculin skin test (TST) is the standard method of determining whether a person is infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The TST is performed by injecting 0.1 ml of tuberculin purified protein derivative (PPD) into the skin surface. The skin test reaction should be read between 48 and 72 hours after administration. A patient who does not return within 72 hours will need to be rescheduled for another skin test.

An induration of 15 or more millimeters is considered positive in any person, including persons with no known risk factors for TB. Since you had a reaction of 20 mm, your status is considered to be latent tuberculosis (according to the CDC guidelines).

Latent Tuberculosis is treated with Isoniazid for a minimum period of 9 months.

Based on the readings of the TST and considering your age, I consider that the risk of TB and its complications would be higher. Hence undergoing treatment with Isoniazid would be definitely indicated and there should be no doubt about it.

I would definitely agree that you would benefit by undergoing the treatment.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

You can write back to me if you still have any doubts.

Dr Anvekar.