Had a tuberculin skin test. Looks like a bubble. Raised and hurting. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a tb skin test 6 days ago and got another today. The nurse practitioner didn't make it what I call bubble when I said something to her she said it doesn't have to now 5 and a half hours later it raised and hurting. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Its induration which needs to be checked

Detailed Answer:

In TB skin test we check for the reaction of our body immune system to deactivated tubercular antigen.
We look for induration of particular size after 48 hours of giving antigen.
Tuberculin test positive means your body is sensitized to tubercular antigen and antibody are already formed.

So it is possible that after TBskin test you will get induration but it may reduce by 48 hours so you need to wait.
If pain becomes intolerable you need to consult your treating doctor as it can be early Fernandez reaction to your TB skin test.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.