Why the child is making throat clearing sound or coughing like sound while eating?

Feb 2013

Every time my daughter eats she makes like a coughing sound like she is trying to clear we throat what could it be she keeps doing it for about 20 mins after she ibises eating its Telly annoying her and all who are around her when she eats
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later

This coughing like sound or throat clearing sound of your child on every time she eats looks like habitual behaviors like Tics.

Simple vocalization Tics will present like grunting or throat clearing sounds. This type of tics are usually absent during sleep and conscious control can be achieved for short periods.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Why the child is making throat clearing sound or coughing like sound while eating? 50 minutes later
So what can I do to help stop this problem
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Most of this simple vocalization tics will be transient and last less than 1 year. If these are causing annoyance to child, or causing any problem during swallowing of food or lasted more than 1 year, then consult your Pediatrician for the proper management.

Hope I have answered your query.