What is the cause for numbness and tingling in finger tips and lips?

I have recently had several bouts with the sensation my lips are trembling/shivering, however when I touch them may they are not actually doing either. My finger tips also mimic a similar sensation along with numbness in the tips and pins and neddles sensation in my left hand. These sessions may last 15-60 minutes. What may cause this? Thank You
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be a serious cause... Detailed Answer: Hi, The described symptoms are not explained by any of the known serious organic medical problem. The closest matching condition that I could think of is muscle 'tics'. Tics are involuntary twitching muscles. A single muscle fibre or a group of muscles start to twitch randomly due to causes unknown for a small period of time. This condition generally resolves over a period of time. If the twitching persists for weeks or months together, you will need to be evaluated for metabolic condition and neurological condition. In simple terms, I don't think you need to be worried. What you described doesn't seem to be related to a serious problem. If its troubling you, consult a neurologist who can order for calcium, vitamin b12, thyroid function and other metabolites. A brain scan is in order if needed. Anxiety may be related to these symptoms, but not your past prostate cancer. Hope this information suffices. Write back if you need clarifications. Regards