Why is my father unable to sleep due to breathing problem and dry mouth?

ENT Specialist
sir my father is 65 yrs old and since last one and half month suffering from dry nose and dry mouth while sleeping. he feels breathing problem and unable to sleep whole night due to this.even in day time the same thing appears
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Saline nose drops Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query. Dry nose and dry mouth are common complaints during winter. For dry nose he can use normal saline nose drops. One common brand is nasoclear nose drops. He should instill 10 drops in each nostril 3 -4 times daily for as long as he wants. Saline nose drops do not cause any side effect and can be used as frequently as needed and for as long as needed. Alternatively you can use a humifier in the room where he sleeps. If humidifier is not available you can use a regular steamer that is commonly used for steam inhalation. It will be available in any medical store. By doing this the humidity of the room increases and dryness of nose and mouth will reduce. For dry mouth he should drink lots of fluids. preferably 3 -4 litres per day. Only when body is well hydrated then the mouth will be moist. Now about his difficulty in breathing - Dry nose can cause a feeling of blocked nose and breathing difficulty while sleeping but there are lots of other causes for difficulty in breathing. It is important to rule out other causes. I suggest you see a physician so that we dont miss something. Feel free to follow up, Dr Rajkishori.