Why have i had my period 3 times this month?

I am 54, 5'7" and weigh 154lbs. I am on blood pressure meds for high blood pressure. I have had my period 3x this month very heavy and am experiencing shortness of breath and fast heart rate. I had to take iron pills about a year and a half ago for for three months for anemia and started again over the weekend when I was experiencing the above. I took my pressure this morning and it was 157/87; pulse rate 100. Took all my meds and blood pressure is reading 121/67; pulse rate 85. Is this normal for perimenapausal women?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later
Hello ,
Since you are having heavy periods you should get your ultrasound done.
Bleeding has to be controlled.
You should get your complete blood profile done like lipid profile , haemogram , serum calcium and Vit D levels , folic acid , B12 etc.
If bleeding persists you have to consult a gynaecologist who will put you on progesterone or do an endometrial biopsy if it is thick.
You should be in touch with your physician also.
Tachycardia , night sweats , flushing are common in perimenopaual women but BP is to be taken care of. Tachycardia can be due to anemia also.
You should get your thyroid profile done.
Menopause is not a disease and Hypertension is also very common but you have to take care of your diet and should do regular weight bearing exercises , if possible yoga and meditation.
I am always here to answer your further queries