Why does my wife have pain in the cervix after polyp removal?

Question
My wife had a polyp & small precancerous area under polyp removed from cervix.(feb 18th,2011). She has pain ever since. She cant sit for then 10 minutes or pain become sever quickly. Had blood,urine,visuals,ultrasound,xrays & mri showing no problems. She is taking several painkillers a day just to cope with the pain. Pain subsides when she lays flat for some time. Pain is felt around area where surgery(severe cramping,throbbing) and directly across to her back ...We need answers!!!
thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.

I can really understand how the pain restricts the daily chores and thereby the quality of life.

Pain in the area of cervix after a small polyp removal without any other symptoms like bleeding, etc can be due a some cautery or some procedure done to stop the bleeding causing scar tissue formation with sensitivity. The gynaecologist who did the procedure must examine to rule out the local causes like excessive scarring.

If there is no local cause found then another strong possibility is inflammation of sacrococcygeal joint which causes pain only during sitting. Oral pain killers usually help but doing sitz bath helps the pain more. Ask her to sit in a tub of warm water with potassium permanganate added to it to decrease the inflammation.

If the operating OBGYN ruled out any complications, you should seek an opinion from an orthopaedician to rule out spinal cord related problems.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.
Regards.

Follow-up: Why does my wife have pain in the cervix after polyp removal? 5 hours later
Hi Dr Tayal,
She has had 3 or more Obgyn do visuals and no mention of excess scarring. She did have an infection due to no anti biotics for first 10 days after surgery. She took 3 sets of anti biotics until last one clear infection.. Another symptom is when she lays on her side for short lenght ,her whole side becomes numb and her right side hip has been hurting.. She does have a know spinal curve.. Its acting like a pinched nerve almost.. We have an appointment with neurologist this monday...

Do you think the surgery damaged nerves near her spine? She has pain all the time but sitting triggers severe....Please be as detailed as possible none seems to have an answer after 3 months

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Surgery is not likely to damage the nerves of her spine.

If you have to ruled out scarring well then the most likely cause seems to be in the spinal column. It can be due to a disc prolapse or just a dislocation of sacrococcygeal joint or ankylosing spondylottic changes developing in that area. The surgery might only be a chance association or might have triggered an unnoticeable discomfort to pain.

The numbness of her hip is definitely a neurological problem for which you are rightly consulting a neurologist in a few days.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing her an early recovery.

Follow-up: Why does my wife have pain in the cervix after polyp removal? 3 hours later
Hi Dr Tayal,
Do you feel an Endoscopy/Laparascopy(it has been offered as an option) should be done to verify no excessive scarring. The polyp was pretty high up in cervix(left side from front).. If excessive scarring is found whats the solution to repair?

Also if theres a spinal column issue (ie. disc prolapse, sacroccygeal joint or ankylosing spondylottic, etc) what tests and type doctor are best for detecting the problem?

She just had adominal & hip MRI which showed no issues.. Were assuming thou, there is a correlation from surgery, which is causing the severe cervix/back pain and now the numbness...

Thanks sooooooooooo much for helping us with this issue..

Sincerely XXXXXXX shine

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Endoscopy or laproscopy are not likely to detect any scarring inside the uterus or cervix. Hysteroscopy might help and scarring is found the treatment depends the extent and type of damage caused.

Regarding the spinal column issues, clinical examination is the best way to diagnose the problem as the changes in MRI or X-ray develop in the late stages of disease.
An orthopaedician will help you in this matter.
Hoping for an recovery of your wife.