Why does my friend have numb limbs after angioplasty?

My friend just had angioplasty surgery, and now his legs and feet are numb and cold with occassional burning sensations. The numbness starts from the hips all the way to the toes and causes lots of pain which get worse during the day. His skin is warm to the touch, but he feels freezing cold all the time from the hips down. He has no problem with his circulation and is not a diabetic. What do we do now?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Most patients are given aspirin following surgery unless it is contraindicated. In some cases Heparin injections (anticoagulation) will be given for 24 hours to prevent the blood clotting at the site of the angioplasty.So you will have to discuss this with the treating physician.

He might be also having nerve compression symptoms due to compressed nerves from the spinal cord.

If he was operated within last 3-4 days the symptoms might be due to epidural analgesia given during or after the surgery.

If the symptoms do not improve then he needs to have an MRI scan to rule out any nerve compression or a disc prolapse.

Till then ask him to lie straight on a firm mattress for a good support to his back and can have methylcobalamin supplements and mild pain killers after consulting with his physician.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Hope i have answered your query, I will be available for follow up.