Ask a Urologist   »  

Why does my daughter's urine have a strong odor ?

my 10 year old daughter's urine smells awful. very strong foul smell. should i call the dr? been going on for a few days
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Awful smelling urine without any other associated symptoms like burning, frequency of micturition, fever, etc may be harmless finding.

There are few possible causes for smelly urine, and have to be ruled out. A simple test on the urine can quickly identify / rule out these conditions.

1. Infection is the commonest cause.

2. There are also conditions that affect the salts and other chemicals produced by the body, which when appearing in urine might make it offensive.

3. Few people develop this problem without an obvious cause

4. In a few instances this problem can sometimes be associated with the use of certain vitamin and supplements or from imbalances in your diet.

I suggest the following measures:

a. The first step is to get a couple of urine samples analysed. Infections and chemical disturbances can be picked up easily by the urine test.

b. I'll just ask you to consider something else – diet, drugs and supplements. - If your daughter is taking anything of that type, try stopping it and see if the problem goes away.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Why does my daughter's urine have a strong odor ? 10 hours later
Thank you for your in-depth answer. She doesn't have any other symptoms although she is small for her age and not on the growth charts (she's adopted from China).

I'm just concerned that it's something else! Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later

Thanks for the appreciation.

As it concerns you so much then it would be better to get her routine urine examination and get her examined by a GP.

Ask her to drink lots of fluids like water and fruit juices.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

PS- If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it.