Ask a Urologist   »  

Recovering from external beam radiation for prostate cancer. Not having proper urination. Chances of kidney failure?

I have been drinking a lot today .but can't urinate much. I have no retention. just don't fell like I need to urinate. went 2 1/2 hours ago ,but with all i been drinking i should be urinating a lot more. A been recovering from External beam radiation for prostate cancer.
I have been urinating frequently until today. At night every hour. . And frequently in the day time also. but now i am passing little urine after drinking a lot. no fever,or pain and I don't feel like I really need to urinate. when I have been urinating I had to force myseltf to go.Are my kidneys failing? should I keep drinking water/
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 37 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
First of all,it is not a kidney failure as this will result in other symptoms like nausea,vomiting,confusion,lethargy,body swelling,loss of appetite besides very less urine or no urine.
Since you are pretty fine,so there is no kidney failure.
Decreased urine output means if a person is passing less than 500 ml of urine in 24 hours.
Most likely cause in you may be dehydration , caused may be by less intake or very hot weather or undue sweating etc or sometimes by medicines like antibiotics,anticholinergics etc.
Keep drinking water and wait for few hours.
You should be able to pass urine but somehow if you find that amount passed by you becomes less than 500 ml in 24 hours,then you may talk to your doctor although I don't think,that situation is going to arise.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck