Ask a Urologist   »  

After bladder laser procedure and clearing up urinary infection, urine is brown color. Suggest?

After bladder laser procedure and clearing up urinary infection the urine is brownish in color. How long before the color is back to normal? Have worn catheter for past two weeks.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No fixed interval

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

Unless you are taking any drug or there is a condition that alters the color of your urine, the color generally depend on the urine concentration. For example, if you drink enough water or the weather is cold, the urine would be less concentrated and the color would be clear. However, on a XXXXXXX hot day or with little water intake, your urine would be very concentrated and the color could be brown.

My advice would be to drink sufficient water to make sure that you have an average daily urine output of 1.5Liters minimum. With this, observe whether there is any change in the color of this urine.

Try this out and let me know what you get in the days ahead. if there is no change, then the urine may need examination to determine if there is any substance in high concentration or one that shouldn't be present that could explain this observtion.

Thanks and feel free to ask for clarifications.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD