Why do you think I have swollen and sore labia after having sex with a new partner?

Hi, my labia is very swollen and sore on both sides. I had sex with a new partner about a week ago but this only started yesterday. I have been on penicillin for 5 days, I have had some thin white discharge but it's not itchy just sore. I have herpes, the pain is similar to an outbreak but I can't see any blisters and I haven't had swelling before. I am 30, 160cm and 58kg. What do you think?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. What you have got is vulvovaginitis which is an inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. Allergic reaction to commonly used products like soaps, vaginal contraceptives, feminine sprays and creams, bubble baths and scented toilet paper can often cause an inflamed vulva and vagina.

You are already taking penicillin. Can you please let me know for which condition you are taking this drug and have you taken this drug before? It will help me in understanding your condition better.

Second possibility is of any bacterial, fungal or yeast infection which is causing these symptoms and diagnosis can be confirmed after a swab culture. Also since you have the history of herpes, so this pain can be prior to the appearance of blisters. Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need antimicrobials which are available by prescription. You may also need antihistaminics for the allergy and swelling.

Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1)      Avoid rough intercourse and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2)     Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3)     Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4)     Change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.