Why do I have inflamed hood above my clit with few swollen blisters?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am on bio-identically hormone, for a few years now. My clit has grown, I don't have a problem with this - a few weeks ago I noticed what seemed to be a pimple on my upper thigh near my Vigina, I did pop it and it didn't scab, and went away very fast -no pain -now I have a inflamed hood just above my clit -with a few blisters -not really painful but delicate and swollen -could I have irritated the skin with a vibrator ? Or does it sound like some thing else -( also within the last two weeks I got a rash on my neck that was itchy , went to a dermotogist and he said it wasn't anything -I also have been on a very clean diet -thought I had candida ( have had a discharge -no smell not heavy like an yeast , not yellow or gray , but when I do a finger test it seems heavy )
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: ABRASION MOST LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The inflamed clitoral hood coupled with the blisters does sound very much like an abrasion. Yes, overstimulation with the vibrator could have irritated the area. That is a distinct possibility. There is no pain / itching / foul discharge - so I do not think an infection is a likely possibility. That would be the differential I would consider. What you CAN do, is just avoid handling the area for a few days. Popping pimples / blisters in the area is never a good idea - the popped pimple could have been a small pustule, and popping it would only spread the infect the surrounding contiguous areas. RIght now, just do not rub / itch / scratch the area. Avoid masturbation / intercourse for a few days till this is healed. If the inflammation / discomfort persists or increases, just apply cold compresses and aloe vera gel locally to provide some relief. During showers or after using the washroom, just clean with lukewarm water without rubbing, and XXXXXXX dry gently with a soft towel. Do not use perfumed or medicated cleansers / gels / soaps / tampons / condoms / tissue paper etc. Wear clean cotton underpants instead of nylon or spandex ones. Change them frequently. If the symptoms persist or worsen, consult a gynaecologist, to rule out infection. That is , if you develop pain, burning sensation, burning urination, foul smelling abnormal coloured discharge, itching etc. Of course, if you are sexually active, and have unprotected sex, you should always have STD screening for yourself and your partner ( including herpes, which is known for causing genital blisters and cold sores ). All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.