Why do I have bumps in the back of neck and getting bad taste?

ENT Specialist
I have this bad taste in my mouth, and these strange bumps in the back of my throat im scared
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common cause of a bad taste in the mouth is pungent foodstuff, tongue, gum or dental disease, fungal infection, overuse of mouthwashes or antibiotics, smoking or acid reflux, dehydration, constipation, poor oral hygiene and so on. Get a Dental opinion.

2. The tongue is often heavily coated with bacteria and fungi which emit the foul odor and taste causing chemicals. This is often associated with indigestion and acid reflux. A metallic taste is common when the tongue is coated.

3. Inform your parents or guardian. Get a physician's opinion. Diabetes must be ruled out.

4. Get a videolaryngosocpy done. Acid or bile reflux is also a leading cause. Nasal and sinus disease may also be the source of bad taste (PND).

5. The strange bumps on the back of your throat are probably granular pharyngitis. This is common when there is some infection, allergy, Post Nasal Drip (PND) or acid reflux.

6. Your physician may advise tests to rule out lung, liver and kidney disease.

7. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment. I must emphasize that you should get a direct examination done. Many other signs and symptoms such as a hairy tongue, bad breath (halitosis), ulcers, burning sensation, bleeding on using a tongue scraper, a throat and tongue swab will decide the further course of action.

8. At your age there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.