Burning sensation on tongue when eating or drinking, bulge on tongue, history of smoking. Oral cancer?

Hi I m actually inquiring about my husbands symptoms. He is 47 years old, hasn t smoked cigarettes for 2 years now, but was a heavy smoker for many years before he quit. He is a heavy beer drinker, probably drinks an average of 12 beers 4 to 6 days a week. He also has extensive dental problems including cavities and gum disease. His symptoms include a bad burning sensation on his tongue when he eats or drinks anything which has persisted for about 2 to 3 weeks now. Today he discovered a lump or bulge in his tongue on the left side. From what I m reading, there is cause for concern about oral cancer .
Asked On : Sun, 14 Oct 2012