Why do I have an enlarged vein under my arm to armpit ?

i have an enlarged vein under my arm to feels hard like a tiny rope. what could this be?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

If there is any pain associated with the lesion then I would consider the most possible cause for the same being infection of the vein ( Thrombophlebitis ).Appropriate Antibiotics after examination would be the solution for this.

If there is no pain associated with the same then the possibility of it being a varicose vein can be considered.Well the same is a rare occurrence in the upper limb but expectable.

To confirm or rule out the above mentioned possibilities there will be need for a Doppler scan of the veins in the upper limb.Discuss with your doctor about the same.

Do mail me the image of the lesion if you can , after having a look on which I could be little more specific in diagnosis. Send it to YYYY@YYYY with a sub Attn Dr Raju Arva.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.