Why do I get a red line on my nose?

I am a 40 year old male with sleep apnea have a CPAP machine that I use on a regular basis. My question is this. From time to time I drink and have an occasion cigarette. I go to sleep at night. The next morning I will wake up and find I have a small, red line in the middle of my nose going down. It is not scratchy or doesn't hurt but, I am wondering what the heck it is...Any ideas...I can be emailed at YYYY@YYYY or YYYY@YYYY !
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

The following details would be very to me.
1) does it itch/pain?
2) Since when you have this? is this the first time you got it?
3)Are you on any medications presently?
4)Do you have any history of trauma?
5) CPAP machine you have, is it with the mask?

A picture of the affected area will be more informative too. You can mail me the photos to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr Sudarshan. Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

Perhaps a visit to dermatologist can also confirm the diagnosis.

Please reply back with the above answers and mail the photos as this will help me in answering you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Why do I get a red line on my nose? 17 hours later
Dear Dr. Sudarshan:

To answer your question:

1) Does it itch/pain? Answer: There is no itching or pain

2) Since when you have this? is this the first time you got it? Answer: I have seen this off and on for a number of years now.

3) Are you on any medications presently? Answer: Paroxetine (20mg) and Lorazepam (0.5mg); both once a night before bed.

4) Do you have any history of trauma? Answer: I broken my right leg at 12 years of age, broken my right wrist and left wrist once at 16 years of age.

5) CPAP machine you have, is it with the mask? Answer: I have had a CPAP machine for over 3 to 4 years know. I don’t use it all the time. I should.

Let me know what else you need. I attached a photo.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later

I have got only one photo of you. Photo is not very clear. it shows a faint erythematous line on bridge of the nose extending upto nose. A picture taken in a bright light will be useful.

Do you get this kind of lesion elsewhere on the body?other part of the face?
Does it increase on sun exposure?
Do you have any history of photosensitivity?

If possible please send me a better, clearer photograph.
Send one profile view also.

Meanwhile you can apply cool soothing lotion like Calamine lotion over the lesions.
Use a glycerine soap.
Avoid sunexposure.
If the problem persists or becomes symptomatic you will have to visit dermatologist for a physical examination and treatment.

Waiting for your reply.