Why am I under weight and have dry skin even after taking proper diet?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
my diet is good, i can eat more than 500 gms chicken at a time and can digest it. but my weight is under 50kg. in morning, afternoon and night i take good food like rice, bread, XXXXXXX vegatables and more than 4 litres water in a day. but still my weight is under 50. my hairs are becoming white, my skin is very dry, my one nail is damaged (without any accident). Please help me with my weight. I am married and have a daughter.
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 34 minutes later
Hello and welcome to HCM

Underweight despite taking a good diet calls for some investigations.
Thyroid function tests (TFTs) need to be done after consulting your physician. Thyroid gland is responsible for maintaining the metabolism of the body thus, the need for these tests.
A stool test should be done. It is possible that the nutrients that you are taking are not being absorbed by your gastro-intestinal tract. Stool test will give information about the absorption status. Infection of the GIT can also lead to malabsorption. The infectious agent will also be picked up the stool examination.

An ultrasound abdomen and X-ray chest will tell about the status of the abdominal organs and lung fields.

But the most important step is to visit your physician.
Clinical examination will guide the physician to order further tests in order of priority.

If you have more queries, I will be glad top answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Why am I under weight and have dry skin even after taking proper diet? 17 hours later
thank you so much for your reply.
three years ago i used Dexona and Practine tables twice a day (for two months), at that time i gained more than 10 KGs. my diet was too good at that time by using these tables. But after leaving these tables my diet became too bad. before one year i used Endura-Mass powder. at that time also my health and weight was increasing but i dont know why i left taking that powder.

So i want to ask you that can i use protiene or some other powders as food supplement, if so then which one would be best for me. because some times ago one doctor done my blood and urine test. and he told me that "everything is ok. taking good food will increase your weight".

I saw taking some medicines increases my weight. so if it is good please suggest me. I will go to patholab and will do thyroid test as well as stool test. But if there is any options please let me know.

Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later
Hello and welcome back to XXXXXXX

Dietary supplements can be added in your diet A number of protein supplements are available in the market- Nutrilite protein powder, proteinex, etc.
You can take anyone of them but take care of taking sufficient amounts daily for best results.
If you are an eggetarian, take eggs as they are very good source of proteins.
Dry fruits, nuts, jaggery, dates are calorie XXXXXXX and nutritious foods. They can be added in the diet.

In case you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal