Why am I not responding to morphine for pain following a C section?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
last night I asked why morphine didn't work for my pain after my csection. I was given 2 doses. One of your drs said must not have gotten full dose? I said I had gotten 2 doses.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be due to a number of factors. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. I understand that you have had inadequate pain relief following your C-section. Morphine would be a common form of pain relief but would usually be part of a pain relief regimen that may include paracetamol and an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen. The beneficial effect of morphine does rely on being given in the correct dosage. Also, pain threshold vary between people and some people need more than others. It is important to become mobile after a C-section as early as reasonably possible. At this point when you start mobilising, pain can seem worse than shortly after delivery when you are resting in bed. Pain can be more of an issue after a C-section under general anesthesia than a spinal or epidural ie; the awake form of anesthesia. As you can see there are a number of factors that may have resulted in poor pain relief for you. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions or you would like me to explain anything in more detail please contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Follow-up: Why am I not responding to morphine for pain following a C section? 4 minutes later
Thank you. I was told they were unable to give me anymore med directly after my csection as they gave me two full doses. They then gave me Percocet which worked very well. I believe I am one of those people that don't have the enzyme to metabolize it. I was hoping that your docs would pick up on that. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consider ibuprofen. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for this information. I note you have not mentioned an anti-inflammatory. I find ibuprofen works very well in combination with opiates after C-section. You could consider adding this. It is safe with breast feeding. Hope this helps you. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger