Why am I having wrist pain when putting weight on it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have extreme pain in my left wrist (at the base near my thumb) ONLY when I put my weight on it. I noticed this while doing yoga about 3 months ago, and even after a long hiatus from yoga the pain has still not gone away. It is not swollen and doesn't hurt at all when I move it or even when I hold things. However its extremely painful when I position it at a right angle and put pressure on it (ie if I'm on my hands and knees). Please help! I want to start doing yoga again but the pain is too unbearable. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in,

Did you had any injury to wrist 3 months before eg., like fall on out-stretched hand? Your symptoms are suggestive of pathology around base of thumb. At this age, it can be involvement of scaphoid or lunate bone. Rarely do the 1st carpo-metacarpal or metacarpo-phalangeal joint gets involved.

An Xray of the wrist will give us a clue about the pathology. Only Xray will guide us on how we are going to treat your condition. So, i would suggest you to consult and get clinically examined by your doctor.

Till that time, don't do any activities that will increase your pain. If pain is more you can have NSAID's sos. Wrist brace would be also helpful to you in restricting the movements around wrist.

Hope i have answered your query.
Get well soon.