Why am I having abdominal pain?

prickly pain over wide range of abdomen, sometimes upper, sometimes lower, diet includes some probiotics, dairy, soy, lots of salad and vegetables, some lowfat protein; also taking some zoloft and wellbutrin.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     61 year old female
•     Known case of IBS and clinical depression.
•     Currently on zoloft and wellbutrin.
•     Complaints of: abdominal pain, not imroved with dietary modification.

You case is interesting and but difficult too. Even your attending physician is facing to solve it. I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy, which need to investigated in your case:
-Bowel infection, worm infestation
-IBS and depression
-Combination of above factors

It is better to get yourself investigated. You may need test like upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy, ultrasound abdomen and stool examination. Your treatment will depend on finding of above test.

IBS and depression can also lead to nonspecific abdominal pain by causing spasm in intestinal and abdominal muscle (specially in case of normal investigation). So, continue medicines and dietary modification.

Wish you good health.