Why am I getting dull and rhythmic pain above breast?

Hi I have a dull and rythmic pain which is quite unlocalized above my left breast and near the armpit which comes and go. it started a day ago. I am a 21 yrs old female with no history of smoking or alcoholism. Please help
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 36 minutes later
First you need to stand in front of a mirror and examine your breast gently.With gentle rolling of the fingers you need to look for any swelling/lump.That happens to be one of the commonest causes of pain. If there are no obvious swellings then thenext thing to rule out is cyclical pain. Dull or sharp pain may be present during certain times in the cycle,eg like right before menses.You need to observe whether that happens. If you cannot determine anything by self examination,you should see a doctor for examination and to rule out enlarged lymph nodes.A mammography is recommended if its not cyclical pain.
Follow-up: Why am I getting dull and rhythmic pain above breast? 3 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I had a body check up and breast ultrasound done a couple of weeks ago and no lumps were found, I also had a blood test done on to look markers of breast cancer. The pain was definitely not cyclic as this is the first time I experienced the pain, is there any other reason for the pain?

P/s: does all kind of breast cancers have the same type of tumour markers? Or does the blood test test for only certain types of breast cancer ?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later
The most accurate method of detecting lumps is by examination and imaging like ultrasound. Markers may or may not be positive. It does have a genetic significance. Since your tests are clear i dont think you need to worry about cancer. Fibroadenosis may cause similar heaviness in breast. Try vit E tablets daily along with primrose oil.
Follow-up: Why am I getting dull and rhythmic pain above breast? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response. The pain has gone away overnight, so I was wondering if I could stop worrying since the pain is gone, or is there a more serious underlying problems like heart problem?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Cardiac pain is more localised and presents differently along with a host of other symptoms.I suggest that you stop worrying so much about this.You have already had the relevant tests to prove that its nothing serious at present. Just try to keep your mind off of this pain.If it returns then further investigations can be done.