Ask a Dentist   »  

White tongue with red bumps. Taking Nystatin, Glunzocole. Causes?

I have red bumps in the back on the front of my tongue, I have a white tongue also, I have had 3 doctor visits and was given nystatin for 10 days, Glunzocole tablets 150 mg, and I had the glunzocole logenzers eating 5 times a day and nothing works, I have a funny taste in my mouth. I am going back to the doctor again but I maybe need a dentist. I have dentures and the bottoms does not fit well. what can I do
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

White tongue with red bumps on the tongue is suggestive of infection of the tongue. The possibilities are:

1. Oral thrush- fungal infection of mouth. Usually covers the palate and tongue and is recurrent.
I suggest you to get an examination done from your doctor and get a KOH examination of the scrapings done of these white coatings. This will confirm the diagnosis of thrush.
Treatment may be required for sometime even after the disappearance of symptoms.

It seems like thrush according to the description. Also it is necessary that the blood sugars are under control as it can flare the symptoms.

The other possibilities are of oral lichen planus or leukoplakia. Oral lichen planus appears as raised white lines on your tongue that has a lace-like appearance.
Clinical examination would help in giving a clear picture and exact diagnosis.

Till the time you XXXXXXX your dentist avoid smoking (if you do), use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean. Oral antibiotics might be needed for treatment. Avoiding hot and spicy foods will also help.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, and Benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.