Ask a Urologist   »  

White substance under foreskin of penis, itchiness. Is this a serious issue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi , I am 36 years old male. Since a few months back I am having this white substance formation under the foreskin of my penis. I cannot retract my foreskin backwards and when I try, it cracks. The white substance comes up everyday even after cleaning it with water.It also itches a lot.Is this a serious issue.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 44 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The white substance under the foreskin of penis is called 'smegma'. And it is normal to have smegma.

But daily while taking bathing the smegma is to be washed and cleaned the area with water.

If smegma accumulates there, it will lead to local infections, itching,irritation, and foul smelling.

The inability to retract your foreskin is due to phimosis - a condition in which the the foreskin opening is small causing difficulty in retracting the foreskin.

In phimosis, if you forcefully retract it will lead to pain, cracks, and bleeding.

The itching is due to irritation caused by the accumulation of smegma leading to local infection.

It is not a serious issue and nothing to worry.

You will require a minor surgical procedure, circumcision to overcome this problems in which the foreskin is excised so that the area will be cleaned easily.

Therefore I advise you to consult a General Surgeon for the examination and for the advise on circumcision.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: White substance under foreskin of penis, itchiness. Is this a serious issue? 48 hours later
Well thanks a lot for the advise. Is there any any medicine to reduce the itching without doing circumcision. Will it be safe to have sex without condoms with my spouse. Couple of months back my wife had to be treated for Ectopic pregnancy in the left tube.Is my condition responsible for that. Can my present condition lead to ectopic pregnancy again.If so, what precaution should I take.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 18 minutes later

You are welcome,

And thank you for getting back.

Cleaning of smegma will lead to decrease of itching. Medicines like oral antihistamines like cetirizine can be taken orally if there is severe itching and it wont clear the smegma.

It will be safe to have sex without a condom with your spouse.

This condition is not at all responsible for ectopic pregnancy and it wont lead to ectopic pregnancy.

But if smegma is not cleared it may lead to accumulation and local infection.

Accidental retraction of prepuce may cause cracks, bleeding and an acute emergency condition of paraphimosis which is a condition in which skin is tightened around penis leading to obstruction of urine flow.

So I advise you to take a General Surgeon consultation.

Regards.