White substance oozing and bleeding after hemorrhoidictomy. Taken Metronidazole. Painful to pass stools

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello Doctor
I am XXXXXXX DOB 15 Feb 1972,
I had my hemorrhoidictomy done on 8th Aug'12. Since then a white stuff is oozing out from the wound.

Immediately after the surgery, it's been all the time a thick white stuff oozing out. Initially I was prescribed Metronidazole 400 mg TDS along with other pain killer.

I had severe discharge and saw Doctor on 13th Aug'12. He took swab for test & prescribed Augmentin 625 mg TDS.
Doctor saw me last Wednesday (22nd Aug 2012), and re-prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg ( However, the Pharmacist said there's nothing 500 mg tablet available & it should be 400 mg). I am on that Antibiotic (Metronidazole 400 mg TDS) now.

Doctor also took a swab again for bacteria detection on that date. Report is awaited.

My present problem is the white thick stuff is still coming out and good amount of fresh blood came out this morning whilst opening the bowel. Though pain has subsided a lot but not fully remissioned. and it pains lot for about 15 minutes after defecating. I am bit worried as I am now on 3rd week post surgery.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

It is unfortunate learning about your situation

I would like to know what was the procedure done ?

Is the discharge coming from the operted wound or from the anus?

Also for bleeding is it from the wound or anus ?

Was the doctor a surgeon or an ksharsutra ayurvedic practitioner ?

Get back with this detail and I. Will help you out

Wishing you a speedy recovery
Follow-up: White substance oozing and bleeding after hemorrhoidictomy. Taken Metronidazole. Painful to pass stools 4 hours later
As I mentioned in my first query, it was Hemorrhoidictomy done by FRCS doctor in London. I had one prolapsed pile which was removed by surgery.
As I can see white stuff is oozing from the surgery wound. Though most of the wound is filled up but top of the wound ( where I believe the Pile was cut off) and about one centimeter below that has NOT been filled and is source of white discharge. Do you think this is an infection? I don't have fever. But it pains for some time after bowel opening.

As I said I noticed bleeding whilst defecating i.e I could see stool was drenched with blood.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

What I gather from your information is that there are all chances you might have developed a small fistula in ano

I would recommend you go for a transanal ultrasound to rule out the same

If there is no fistula, it has to be treated as a wound infection and the bleeding also will get stopped

Under all prevailing conditions It is always better to add a probiotic twice a day, a good fiber supplement and take sitz bath twice a day

Hope this helps
Do not hesitate to write back in case of doubts
Wishing you a speedy recovery