White clumps after sex, have Bacterial vaginosis, taking flagyl, used refresh gel for vaginal lubrication. Suggestion & when can have sex?

I have bacterial vaginosis and I am on 14 day course of flagyl. I tried to use refresh gel for lubrication and thought it would help my vaginal dryness. Instead little white clumps came out during sex, it was so embarrassing. How can I make sure this doesn't happen again? Will it help if I douche prior to sex? When can I have sex again on not be embarrassed.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 52 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query!

You are currently receiving the recommended treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis. The condition can be expected to resolve after you've completed your medication course. It is also equally important to complete your treatment course even if your signs and symptoms resolve before that. However, if your symptoms do not resolve or recur, I would recommend you to see your Gynaecologist again.

The use of vaginal douches is not recommended in this condition. Instead vaginal gels may aggravate the vaginosis.

This condition can be prevented by limiting the number of sexual partners and avoiding the use of vaginal douches. Since Bacterial Vaginosis is a common condition and easily treatable, you can resume the sexual activity after the symptoms resolve.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.