White blood cell count came 62/HPF in blood work. Is this high or normal for small infection?

My blood work came back with a 62/HPF for my white blood cell count. Is this considered very high, or just normal for a small infection?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I understand your worry.
If the white cell count in the urine is 62 per hpf, it is most probably urinary infection.
It has to be further quantified with a urine culture and sensitivity test to know the type of bacteria and the medicines needed to eradicate it.
If the infection is repeated, u need to be evaluated to find out the reason for the recurrence.
Usually, urinary infection presents this way. There is nothing to worry as long as u get appropriate treatment.
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any.
Get well soon
Follow-up: White blood cell count came 62/HPF in blood work. Is this high or normal for small infection? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Just a quick question since the blood work was
actually done over a month ago and I am just now receiving the results . . . is it possible for a urinary infection to clear up on its own. I haven't really had any symptoms (that I am aware of) other than lower back pain and some frequent urination (which I contributed to sitting at my computer too long and menopause).
Just curious.

I do have an appointment set up with a new family practice physician next week for a new patient exam. So I assume that I should have her order the urine culture and sensitivity test . . . correct?

Thank you once again, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, u can get the doubt cleared with the test after u see the family practice physician.