When should I start taking femilon pills to avoid pregnancy?

Took Femilon an year back for a month to avoid pregnancy. I started at 2nd or 3rd day (not sure) of my period. Now, I want to start the pills for another one or two months. I have my 3rd day of period today, can I start taking the pill from today daily?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes you can

Detailed Answer:

The best day to start a new pack of pills is on the 1st day of your period. However, its possible to start the new pack on the 2nd or 3rd day also. Since today is your 3rd day, start from today. But use added protection like a condom, for the 1st days of the cycle, ie, from today if you start the pill today. This will ensure full protection. You need not use added protection from next month, when you start the new pack again.
Follow-up: When should I start taking femilon pills to avoid pregnancy? 25 minutes later
so we are not sure about it's efficacy as a 100% birth control because of
a. the delay in start (3rd day of period instead of 1st), or
b. generally first month of pills is not that effective?
Because in case of (a), why should I abuse my body with the pills if I HAVE TO use physical contraception? I will use condoms for this month and will start pills next month onwards only. Please clarify. Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
a is correct

Detailed Answer:

Your answer is 'a'. Its efficacy is hampered due to the delay in starting instead of the 1st day. Always better to start from day 1. If you wish, start from next cycle. Its completely your choice.