When in squatting position, knees fail to pull up. Why?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
when i am in squatting position my knees will not "pull" me up. I can not get up off floor - what can possibly be wrong? I am 60 yrs old and not overweight
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later

From your symptoms it seems that both of your knee joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.

The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.

Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.

You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.

A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees.

Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.

In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.

I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, X-rays of the knee, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: When in squatting position, knees fail to pull up. Why? 2 hours later
Just to let you know I don't have pain in my knees; simply the unability for the "lifting" motion to take place. After struggling to get up and crawling to something that I can pull myself up on there is some residual soreness. After working a sit down job all my life, due to economic crisis I have had to take a cashier posistion that requires standing about 5 hours per day. Before that, I had none of this trouble at all. Thank you again for your answer
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for elaborating your problem further.
Your symptoms are suggestive of early osteoarthritic changes in your knee joints. If the disease progresses further, the pain will replace the soreness that you are having now.
You can avoid the pain killer right now and start with some lubricating agents like glucosamine after consulting with your orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.