What special care and precatuitons should be taken for baby with one kidney?
User rating for this question
hello, My baby is of one year born with single kidney,now her weight is 8.5kg. I want to know about how do i take care of her single kidney.any particular diet i should follow to keep her kidney healthy. Also all the time i am worried about how to take care of her.please help how what p[recautions should i take for her to have normal life?
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Need to monitor periodically Detailed Answer: Hi Thank you for sending in your query. Unilateral absent kidney occurs in 1 in 1000 births. The good news is that such patients are often able to lead a normal healthy life if the single kidney functions normally. We need to check her blood pressure, serum creatinine and urine analysis. This will tell us about the functioning of the single kidney. If these are normal, we should monitor her renal function periodically, say once every 2 years. The following precautions have to be taken to preserve the kidney function: 1) Periodic monitoring of kidney function as advised above. 2) Avoid use of drugs which are harmful to the kidneys, like combiflam, brufen etc. Please see a Nephrologist for a complete list. 3) Treat all infections quickly, especially urinary tract infections. 4) As regards to diet, as she is a growing child, she should eat a normal diet, unless any of the tests which I mentioned are grossly abnormal. I hope this was helpful. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions. Regards Dr Bhabhe
People also viewed
- Mild fullness of renal pelvis is seen bilaterally
- Mild fullness of pelvis of bilateral kidney is seen
- Bilateral mild pelvicalyceal separation
- What is fullness of bilateral renal pelvicalyces
- Is bloating a side effect of ceftriaxone?
- What are the side effects of chondroitin?
- Is cold sweats a side effect of coreg cr?
- Babies with small kidney and shadow on kidney
- What should kidney count be
- Is hives a side effect of clarithromycin?
- What precautions should be taken when suffering from kidney stones
- Kidney infection or baby sitting on kidney
- Bilateral minimal splitting pelvicalyceal system
- What measures should one take for a healthy kidney
- Is fainting a side effect of candesartan?