What should i do if i have i have endometriosis?

Mar 2013
what should i do if i have i have endometriosis? and no insurance.?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: TREATMENT TAILORED AS PER SYMPTOMS. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. How was the diagnosis of endometriosis established, may I know that? Was it just clinical examination, or by ultrasound, or laparoscopy ? Sometimes, if you are asymptomatic no treatment would be required. If you have symptoms, then you would either have to seek treatment ( bearing the financial repercussions ) or live with the symptoms. Sometimes, endometriosis responds to mild OTC painkillers and antiinflammatory drugs or antispasmodics - these are not costly and have to be taken cyclically. In more severe cases, cyclical hormone therapy is required - in the form of progesterone tablets, oral contraceptive pills or progesterone containing IUDs ( intra uterine devices ). A person with average income can bear the cost by paying cash. My opinion is while under the treatment you should ask the doctors/staff for cash discounts. Now a days a lot of doctors give them if you pay cash instead of insurance. They need to claim the insurance which is a long process, paper work and takes few months of time. If you pay cash they avoid the process and pass on the benefit to you as discounts. In some cases, more costly gonadotropin injections might be needed. By this time you need to get the insurance. Surgery is always a last resort for refractory cases, or if there is a big lump formed by the endometriotic tissue in the ovaries / tubes. Please upload your complete investigations done so far, and the clinical symptoms, treatment taken so far etc. so that I can guide you accordingly. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.