What should be the dose of advent forte syrup for child suffering from tonsillitis?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
What should be the dose of advent forte syrup 457 mg(cipla) for a 5 year old child weighing 26 kgs and suffering from tonsillitis. I have given 13 ml B.D. Is it right?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
You have given approximately 2g of amoxicillin per day for 26 kg child which is pretty stiff dose.
Usually we recommend 40 to 50mg per kg , in that case your child would get 1.3 g only.

But amoxicillin can be given upto 100 mg per kg ( like the dose you had given ) in severe infections.
If your clinician had suggested you to do so , clarify with him if he really wanted to give the highest dose.
If you had given by yourself, I would recommend to bring down the dose to half ie 6 ml BD
Hope I answered your query.
Follow-up: What should be the dose of advent forte syrup for child suffering from tonsillitis? 10 minutes later
We were prescribed 13 ml B.D, I have given her 13 ml in the morning, should I give her the second dose of 6 ml or start from tomorrow with 6 ml
Answered by Dr. Arun 9 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

It would be safe to go with 6ml from tonight, after talking to your doctor. If not improving, you can increase the dose. The dosage needs to be finalized by the treating pediatrician as he/she would have examined the child. So, please make sure that you talk to him before making any changes.