What should be done for high HbF in second trimester?

May 2013
Hi... I am 3 months pregnant... My HbF level is 1.2% while the report says it should be less than 1.0%... is it normal for HbF increase a little during pregnancy or do I need to check for beta thalessemia?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Some women may have rised levels in second trimest Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually in the second trimester the fetal hemoglobin levels may increase in some pregnant woman. After 12 weeks of gestation embryonic hemoglobin turns into fetal hemoglobin. So, sometimes rised fetal hemoglobin may indicate trans placental hemorrhage. Also compared with males, females will have little bit more fetal hemoglobin fraction. As there is only minimal rise and as you are not having any symptoms, no need to worry. Repeat the complete blood picture and hemoglobin electrophoresis, ultrasound after two weeks. If no abnormality is detected in that, no need to worry. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.