What should be done for heaviness in chest and breathing difficulty when suffering from bronchitis?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Recently I have been waking up because I seem to be holding my breath. I am getting over bronchitis right now and problem seems to be worse. I am having difficulty going to sleep. As I fall asleep chest feels heavy and breathing seems to change. I am a 43-year-old, 120-lb. female. This is stressing me out, which probably isn't helping either.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and am sorry for the situation you are in. Usually, bronchitis must be evaluated physically by auscultation and chest X-ray by your physician/pulmonologist. Could you please provide the medications you are currently taking? That could help me assist you further. Meanwhile, I’d suggest to: - Take more rest - Have more water or liquids (tea, juices) - Take acetaminophen/ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation - Use 2 pillows when sleeping - Take good oral hygiene - Have light meals (chicken soups, fruits,vegetables) - Take 1 teaspoon of olive oil and honey in the morning Looking forward to kindly have the requested data! Dr.Sonila

Follow-up: What should be done for heaviness in chest and breathing difficulty when suffering from bronchitis? 22 minutes later
I am not currently on medications. I finished an antibiotic regimen of 5 pills several days ago. I am more concerned that I have a serious sleep disorder. Your thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Antibiotics alone cannot help relieving your coughing and chest discomfort. You might need symptomatic drugs including antihistamines, bronchodilatators or using nebulization therapy. So, I'd suggest to consult your physician/pulmonologist to start the supporting therapy. If in a month time, you will still have problems while sleeping, I'd suggest to do the sleeping test to exclude/diagnose sleep apnea/disorder. Wish you fast recovery my dear! Dr.Sonila