What medicine is best for restless legs syndrome ?

I have restless legs cyndrome what can I do esp at night I toss and turn all the time ,but when i sleep its Ok ,its just when i get into bed then it starts esp between my legs at the knees in the middle its horrible feeling almost like a burning sensation...I am 62yrs old female.I am on no medication.I had this problem now for about 3yrs and yet the doctors say just take 2 panadols when you go to bed...thats not good enough it really makes me not want to go to bed.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 44 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the medical query.

I do understand your frustration regarding the lack of proper diagnosis and specific treatment.

From the description of your symptoms they could be due to Restless Leg syndrome.

Restless leg syndrome is a disorder in which there is an urge or need to move the legs to stop unpleasant sensations which can result in a decreased quality of sleep (insomnia). This lack of sleep can lead to daytime sleepiness, anxiety or depression, and confusion or slowed thought processes.

First and foremost, to proceed ahead, you might consult a doctor who you trust to help you out. Once he examines you , he might get a few tests done to rule out peripheral nerve disease XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, RLS is diagnosed, treatment can be initiated to provide you symptomatic relief.

Treatment in Restless Leg Syndrome aims to reduce stress and helping the muscles relax.
Some medications that can be prescribed by your doctor include pramipexole or ropinirole (Requip) which will reduce your symptoms entirely.

Additional supportive measures that might help you out include -
1. Warm baths ;
2. Gentle stretching exercises
3. Massages can help relieve the symptoms to some extent.

You might consult a neurologist and put forth your issues to him. He might understand your situation and take up interventions to help you out.

I hope this helps.