Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the white rope like substance in my daughter's urine?

My 10 year old daughter has started urinating long ropesof something, cannot tell if it is worms or pus. she said the vagina is itching and it hurts. I have checked and seen pus coming out of it and she said it is painful. Everyytime she urinates we see this long thin rope of something in her pee. worried
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
The white rope like thing could either by mucus or excess of slimy vaginal secretion.
From your description there are a few possibilities which are coming to my mind and need to be ruled out after proper investigations.
1. Acute urinary infection- the whiteness you see can be due to infection- can be ruled out by a routine urine examination with culture and sensitivity to detect the causative organism.
2. urinary deposits of calcium- usually seen when there is tendency of stone formation. Routine urine examination will help.
3. threadworms - usually they are present around anus and might be getting washed by urine. You need to get her stool examined for ova and cysts. Till the time you get the reports ask her to have plenty of fluids and fresh cranberry juice.
You should not worry now. It is early to comment about the seriousness of it.
It needs an examination by the primary physician

hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.