What is the treatment for steriod induced myopathy?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
What cure is there for Steriod Induced myopathy and how is the Myopathy diagnosed? Just waiting for an answer
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Different modes of treatment & diagnostic methods.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There are different ways for treating & diagnosing steroid induced myopathy.

DIAGNOSTIC METHODS are as follows -
* Estimation of muscle associated enzymes like Creatine kinase, Lactate dehydrogenase and Aldose. (Generally, these enzyme levels will be raised only in Acute phase of muscle injury but may be normal in chronic cases)
* EMG (Electromyography) shows a myopathic pattern
* MUSCLE BIOPSY shows atrophy of muscle fibres

* Reducing the dose of steroid intake, Using a nonfluorinated steroid & alternate day treatment regimen
* Good protein diet (is helpful in preventing rapid acceleration of symptoms) and physical activity
* Physical therapy may be useful in preventing and treating muscle weakness
* MEDICINES - There is no evidence based data to suggest the usefulness of any particular medication in the treatment but many substances have been tried with varying success like Vitamin E prepartions, Phenytoin sodium, Anabolic steroids, Potassium supplements etc
* Some of the experimental treatments that have been used in glucocorticoid-induced myopathy are branched-chain amino acids, creatine, androgens such as testosterone, nandrolone and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and glutamine.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: What is the treatment for steriod induced myopathy? 20 hours later
That is a better and more complete answer than I have received from my GP.
He suggested I take Coenzyne 10.
I will try a high protein diet.
Can i send you my latest blood test?
I will have to find out how to scan and attach it . XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do send your report.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Though there is no evidence based data to suggest the usefullness or efficacy of Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone) in the treatment of Steroid induced myopathy, it is still being prescribed across the globe with varying results.

Good day.