What is the treatment for running bowels and blood in urine?

Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Sorry, I did not understand the first sentence properly. If you can clarify the first sentence I will be better able to help. Did you have loose motions that lasted weeks? What was the diagnosis for running bowls? What medicines have you been taking for your health issues? Regarding your second sentence that you are anemic and have blood in urine, it needs further kidney tests. The anemia can be due to damage to kidney as kidney is the source of erythropoetin that makes red blood cells. Anemia can have other causes too like a chronic disease (maybe running bowels for weeks may cause it). Further tests can include detailed tests for anemia including erythropoetin levels. Renal function tests and a complete blood count with prothrombin time and partial thromboplastin time should be obtained. A urine culture should be sent if urine dipstick is positive for bacteria or pyuria. A microscopic analysis of the urine sample will help to differentiate between glomerular and non-glomerular bleeding (glomerulus is a part of nephron/ urine forming cells). If these tests come back normal, then sonographic imaging of the kidney, ureter and bladder should be taken. It sounds like a long list of tests but it can be done in just one visit to the doctor. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee