What is the treatment for redness in eyes post lower eye surgery?

After lower bleph eye surgery 10 days ago, My eyes are very red and feel tired. I originally used Erythromycin which could have caused an allergic reaction. Since then, I have usesd Tobridex, Neo/poly/bac/hc/ ointment, Opcon-A. and Natural Tears. My eyes remain very red(bloodshot) Can you make any suggestions? Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: consider stopping several of the antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this red eye following your surgery. Antibiotics are prescribed to prevent bacterial infection after surgery. It has been ten days after the procedure and unless there is XXXXXXX infection, I will suggest you stop most of these antibiotics. My greatest suspicion is that these drugs combinations have caused irritation to the eyes and is responsible for the redness. Continue solely with the artificial tears and tobridex. These would provide adequate coverage for the any possible infection and reduce the inflammation. It will also guide you towards full recovery. It will take some time for the redness to clear up fully. Just exercise some more patience. If vision should deteriorates, pain increase or the redness fails to regress, I will suggest you get re-evaluated for this. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.